Content of the training
MYmind is a mindfulness-based 9 session parent and child training program that aims to improve focus and concentration, and decreases impulsivity, hyperactivity, and aggression in youth (9-18 years) with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). MYmind has been extended to address stress, anxiety and depression and appears to have a positive effect on social communication in youth (9-18 years) with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). MYmind has also been extended to (young) adults with ADHD.
The parallel Mindful Parenting training supports parents in their parenting of their child with AD(H)D or ASD, by cultivating present-moment and non-judgmental attention for the child, by understanding the world from the perspective of their child, by dealing differently with parenting stress, by becoming aware of automatic patterns of reacting to their child, and by focusing on the reality of the condition of their child and accepting it for what it is. Parents learn how they can support and reward their child’s mindfulness training. Also, the training may help parents with their own possible attention and behavior problems, as because of genetic overlap, parents may have a similar condition
MYmind is provided in groups of 6-10 children, depending of the age and conditions, and 6-10 parent (couples). During three of the sessions, parents and children come together, to meditate together and share experiences. MYmind can also be applied for individual families, and online.
The program has been developed and tested over the last 20 years by prof. Susan Bögels, dr. Esther de Bruin and their colleagues, and by independent researchers worldwide, and is found to have profound and long-lasting effects on child and parental psychopathology and wellbeing, on parenting stress, overreactive parenting, the parent-child relationship quality, and family functioning, both in families of children with AD(H)D and ASD.
Teacher training program
In the teacher training the theory, research, but mostly the practice of MYmind is reviewed. Ways of working are:
- Studying literature (theory and research) and reflection
- Experiencing MYmind practices/meditations in the role of a child and of a parent, and reflection upon these experiences (teach back)
- Practicing MYmind practices/meditations in the role of instructor, reflection upon these experiences, and through feedback by the group and teacher further cultivate own skills and attitude
- The inquiry process with children with ADHD and autism, and their parents, horizontal and vertical
- Working with group dynamics: the magic of the group
- Practicing with “difficult” groups/children/parents, and own reactivity
- Watch videos of parts of the MYmind training with children and parents, and their reflections on what they have learned
- Discussing setting up MYmind courses in own context, including intake and assessments
From this teacher training, participants will learn:
- How to conceptualize ADHD and ASD from a mindfulness framework
- How to teach mindfulness to children and adolescents
- How to work with groups of youth with ADHD or ASD
- How to instruct mindful parenting to their parents
- How to work with children and parents together
- How to do the inquiry with these children and their parents
- How to apply the program with individual families
- How to apply the program online
- How to work with own reactivity as a trainer when challenged
Although this is primarily a clinical training, some research elements will be included as well. The effects of MYmind for children with ADHD and ASD and their parents will be discussed.
Participants receive a MYmind trainer certificate when having been present sufficiently (90%), having shown sufficient (development in) attitude and skills, having shown sufficient self-reflection in the practices during the training, and having written a selfreflection report about their own professional and personal process during the teacher training of sufficient level, all as judged by the teacher(s). In case the selfreflection report is insufficient, it can be rewritten within 4 weeks. In case of doubt about the (development of) attitude and skills, additional supervison can be requested, but this needs to be paid separately.
You will receive:
- The professional manuals of MYmind for youth with ADHD and with ASD, and their parents
- The workbooks for parents and for youth with ADHD and ASD
- The yoga positions for children
- A reader.
For psychologists, counsellors, psychiatrists, and other (health care) practitioners who work with children and parents. Because experience is the best teacher, we also work with own experiences as a child, parenting experiences from our own family of origin, and for those who are parents, own parenting experiences, and partner experiences. After completing the teacher training there is the possibility to receive supervision (to be paid separately) about your own MYmind groups.
This intensive is intended for international child mental health practitioners with a background in mindfulness training and meditation, who want to use MYmind with their families. MYmind is usually provided by two trainers, one for the child group and one for the parallel parent group. As such, it may be helpful to participate in the teacher training with a colleague, although not required. It is advised to reserve enough time for studying the literature and manual before start of the training and for study and the homework in between the training days, in order to get most out of the training. The training will be given in English.
- A master in psychology, psychiatry, counselling, social work, or other health care master
- Having participated in an MBSR or MBCT training for oneself, at minimum, or preferably having completed a mindfulness teacher training
- Having participated in a 5-days (or longer) meditation retreat, or the intention to complete this soon after the training
- Having one’s own meditation practice.
In person: €1250,- and online: €1000,-. Course materials included, books not. Susan Bögels is a registered trainingsinstitute in the Netherlands (CRKBO) and therefore the teacher training is VAT exempt.
Dates: Oct 4-10
Duration: each day from 11.00-15.00 (UTC+2 – Dutch day saving light time), plus retreat at Sunday Oct 8. from 06.00-10.00